“Augusta’s first hospital opened in 1818 – on a patch of property in Olde Town, bordered by Greene and Telfair streets. It provided care for the “sick poor” of the city, according to the historical marker on the site.
Some things never change.
Thousands of low-income area residents still visit that same patch of property every year to receive quality medical treatment. But this location rooted so deeply in Augusta’s medical past is playing an increasingly important role in the future of health care.
It’s now the main home to Christ Community Health Services – a nonprofit where founders Drs. Robert Campbell and Grant Scarborough wanted to heal bodies and, Lord willing, spirits.”
Check out the full Augusta Chronicle article.